Monday, December 1, 2008

Mitten Family Home Evening

I try to have our family home evening go along with our theme for the week, and sometimes its a stretch, but I am excited about this week! At lds.org I found this great story about mittens and service, giving to others, from an old issue of The Friend. The link to the story is http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=21bc9fbee98db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=8a239633afcab010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1.

I thought we would read this story and then talk about how blessed we are and how there are so many people/kids out there that have so little. I think it will be a great tie-in to our upcoming Christmas fhe's. Then to go along with our mitten theme I have cut out matching pairs of mittens. On the back of the mittens I have pictures of different ways we can serve ie, pictures of doing chores, sharing toys with siblings, etc. Then I laminated them and I will tape them all over the house and Skylar will have to find the matches.

To round out the night we are decorating sugar cookies shaped like- what else?? Mittens!! A little over the top, maybe, but so fun!!

I think this could be really adaptable for all ages, so if you happen to try it and your family enjoys it, let me know!!

2 comments:

Camille said...

Im so glad that you started a blog for all of your cute ideas! you are always an insperation to me! MISS YOU!

{Brittany} said...

Okay, you are AMAZING! Can I just send my kids over to your house. They would never want to come home. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas.